1. Research & Development
- MERIT conducts research and develops resources in the area of governance, leadership, management, curriculum, instruction and improvement of education.
- MERIT explores in-depth current educational trends to recommend the best possible practices for Islamic schools.
- MERIT provides guidance to school administrators and boards in the areas of governance, leadership and management.
- MERIT conducts conferences, workshops, seminars and training programs to assist Muslim educators.
- MERIT organizes internship and mentoring programs for Muslim schools.
- MERIT offers consultation to schools to develop their boards, administrative structure and instructional staff.
- MERIT assists schools with strategic planning, organizational planning and problem assessment.
- MERIT guides schools through a process of self-evaluation and improvement to achieve excellence.
- MERIT creates a professional networking forum in which Muslim educators can interact with colleagues, share information and gain insight and perspectives on educational issues.
- MERIT networks with other independent school associations, similar resource centers and school districts.
- MERIT offers voluntary accreditation for Muslim American schools that meet the “Standards of Excellence” criteria and assists the schools with their accreditation.
- MERIT publishes “Standards of Excellence” and sets forth guidelines for quality Islamic schools.
6. Data Bank
- MERIT maintains a Data Bank for Muslim educators to share information and resources.
- MERIT compiles a list of Muslim schools and profiles of these schools.
- MERIT compiles a list of Muslim educators for the purpose of job opportunities and networking.
7. Establishment of Islamic Schools
- MERIT provides step-by-step direction to individuals and groups who want to establish or improve their schools. (a tool-box for new schools)
- MERIT provides direction and assistance for new emerging Islamic schools to develop their publications, curricula, policies and procedures.
- MERIT offers board training, in-services, orientations, staff development and principal training to Islamic schools.
- MERIT publishes books, booklets, pamphlets, journals and other resources.
- MERIT publishes periodicals and offer online resources.
- MERIT publishes “Standards of Excellence.”
- MERIT publishes “Assessment Tools” for boards to evaluate schools, principals and self-evaluation tools for boards.
- MERIT publishes a “School Improvement Plan” for schools.
9. World Wide Web
- MERIT outreaches nationwide to other Islamic schools and educational institutes and provides access, services and resources through the internet.
- MERIT establishes a communication system through the internet.
10. Legal and Professional Assistance
- MERIT contracts with a lawyer to answer the needs of member schools in the area of employment contracts, personnel issues and job-related legal matters.
- AIMS may provide assistance in the area of liability insurance, health insurance, retirement plans, and workman’s compensation to research the best group deals on behalf of member schools to get the best group deals.